- Bachelor of Architecture degree with a fifth year elective in Building Technology - University of Illinois, 1982.
- Reinforced Masonry Short Course - Masonry Institute of America, 1986
- Masonry Consultant for the City of Chicago from 2008 to present.
- Instrumental in the updating and restructuring of Chicago’s masonry specifications.
- Served as staff architect for Masonry Advisory Council 1985-1993.
- Has reviewed thousands of masonry details and hundreds of technical documents and has conducted thousands of phone consultations addressing a variety of masonry related issues.
- Inspected and evaluated several hundred masonry buildings (completed and under construction).
- Has conducted hundreds of successful forensic investigations on masonry buildings, ranging from high-rises to residential construction.
- Has conducted numerous technical seminars on a variety of masonry topics for Architectural, Engineering, Construction, and Development firms.
- Has had over 60 articles and technical documents published on a variety of masonry topics, including the publication of a 218 page masonry detailing handbook.
- Served as a masonry consultant for "The New York," one of the tallest brick-clad buildings in the United States.
- Served as masonry consultant for the “Columbian” building. The tallest brick-clad building in Chicago
- Served as a masonry expert for the Army Corp of Engineers, assisting in the development of a masonry building repair and restoration program.
- Served as a technical consultant for the Magazine of Masonry Construction1996-1998.
- Served as a technical consultant for the International Masonry Institute, 1996-2003.
- Has over 25 years of specialized masonry experience encompassing research, technical writing, specification development, architectural and engineering consultation, and construction litigation.
at College Universities
- Notre Dame University Architectural School (continuing basis)
- University of Illinois, Urbana, Architectural School (continuing basis)
- University of Illinois, Chicago, Architectural School (continuing basis)
- Ilinois Institute of Technology Architectural School (continuing basis)
- Ball State University Architectural School (continuing basis)
- Valparaiso University Engineering School
- Oakton Community College
at Professional Associations
- American Institute of Architects
- American Association of Building Inspectors
- Construction Specification Institute, Chicago Chapter
- Illinois Masonry Institute
- International Masonry Institute
- Masonry Institute of Columbus, Ohio
- Masonry Institute of Iowa
- Masonry Institute of Northwestern Ohio
- Minnesota Masonry Institute
- National Concrete Masonry Association
- Northeastern Ohio Masonry Institute
- The Masonry Society
- The Masonry Society (TMS)
- Board of Directors
- Technical Activity Committee
- Architectural Practice Committee
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- C12 Mortars for Unit Masonry - Executive Committee
- C15 Manufactured Masonry Units
- Masonry Standards Joint Committee (ACI/ASCE/TMS)
- Building Code Requirements for Masonry structures
- Specifications for Masonry Structures
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
- Masonry Concept Home: Assisted in the development of the design and supervised the construction of a four-inch thick, brick bearing wall. - Masonry Advisory Council, 1987 - 1988
- Research of Physical Properties of Masonry Using Regional Materials: Assisted in coordination and documentation of test program. - Mason Contractors Association of Greater Chicago, 1987
- Builder Engineered Management System: Assisted in the development of the Condition Index for masonry. - Department of the Army, Construction Engineering Research Laboratories, 1993
- Inventor of Corner Flashing Membrane, for masonry walls - United States Patent Number 4,700,512
- Inventor of Prefabricated End Dams, for masonry walls - United States Patent Number 5,815,986
- Producer of Masonry Technologies Detailing System, AutoCAD Software - United States Copyright Registration TXU 572 026
- Producer of Brick Veneer Detailing System, AutoCAD Software - United States Copyright Pending.
- Cavity Walls: A Case of High Performance Proceedings of First International Masonry Conference, London England December 1986
- Masonry Concept Home: 4" Brick Bearing Wall Proceedings of 8th International Brick/Block Masonry Conferences, Dublin Ireland September 1988
- Design and Construction of a Traditional Brick Building Utilizing Modern Technology and Craftsmanship. Proceedings of the 5th Canadian Masonry Symposium, University of British Columbia June 1989
- Research of Physical Properties of Masonry Assemblages Using Regional Materials, Masonry: Components to Assemblages ASTM STP 1063 July 1990
- Cavity Walls: A Case of High Performance (Revised) Proceedings of 5th North American Masonry Conference, University of Illinois June 1990
- Masonry Concept Home: 4" Brick Bearing Wall (Revised) Proceedings of 5th North American Masonry Conference, University of Illinois June 1990
Click here to see a list of Mr. Laska's Journals
- Charles Court Apartments: Study of masonry bearing walls and precast concrete slab system. Masonry Advisory Council June 1985
- Tamarack Retirement Residence: Study of masonry cavity bearing walls and precast concrete slab system. Masonry Advisory Council December 1985
- Renaissance Hotel: Study of masonry designed and constructed with three structural systems. Masonry Advisory Council February 1986
- Mitchells Jeweler Building: Study of masonry rehabilitation by reveneering. Masonry Advisory Council June 1986
- Green Castle of Elmhurst: Study of seven story bearing cavity wall system. Masonry advisory Council November 1986
- Marvin S. Weiss Community Center: Study of tall slender reinforced masonry cavity walls. Masonry Advisory Council January 1987
- Greenpoint Industrial/Research Park: Study of tall slender reinforced masonry cavity walls. Masonry Advisory Council May 1987
- 3660 Lake Shore Drive: Study of cavity wall - concrete frame highrise. Masonry Advisory Council January 1988
- Fairview Office Center: Study of masonry wall-steel frame structure Masonry Advisory Council July 1988
- Camp Flooring Office Building: Study of reinforced single wythe brick wall system.
- Masonry Advisory Council
- November 1988
- Chicago Ridge Industrial Building: Study of reinforced single wythe concrete masonry wall system. Masonry Advisory CouncilApril 1990
- Church Square Shopping Center: Study of reinforced single wythe brick wall system. Masonry Advisory Council March 1993
- The Modern Brick Home: Study of single wythe brick wall system for residential application. Masonry Advisory CouncilJanuary 1994
Masonry Construction Guides
- Mortar for Masonry International Masonry Institute February, 1997
- Masonry Grout International Masonry Institute March, 1997
- Grouting Masonry International Masonry Institute April, 1997
- Avoiding Problems by Reviewing Construction Documents: Architectural Drawings International Masonry Institute October, 1999
- Avoiding Problems by Reviewing Construction Documents: Masonry Project Specifications International Masonry Institute October, 1999
- Flashing Installation: Cavity Walls International Masonry Institute November, 1999
- Flashing Installation: Brick Veneer International Masonry Institute
- Flashing Installation for Special Conditions: Cavity Wall - Steel Frame International Masonry Institute December, 1999
- Flashing Installation for Special Conditions: Stepped Foundations, Arches and Pitched Roofs International Masonry Institute December, 1999